Mail Merge With Avery® Design and Print Online
Step 1: Prepare Your Database
The easiest way to apply different names from your Christmas List on to each of your products (for example for address labels) is by doing something we call “Mail merge”. This is a quick and easy way of automating the process rather than typing them one at a time for each different label needed.
You might already have the addresses for your friends and family or business customers in a spreadsheet. If not, you'll need to create your spreadsheet in Microsoft® Excel, here's a quick guide on how to do that;
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Across the top row you will need to insert headers into each column (For example Name, Address1, Address2 Address3, Address4, Postcode.) making sure there are no spaces between words. You can find more detailed instructions about creating a spreadsheet here.
- Fill in all your names addresses underneath the appropriate columns so that it looks like the example here.
- Save your spreadsheet for example “Christmas list 2013” either as a xls, xlsx or csv file.
Step 2: Open the Christmas Design Page
Go to our special Christmas page at www.avery.co.uk/Christmas to see this year’s festive selection! Select the design you would like to use and this will automatically open our Avery Design and Print Online software.
- Type in your product code of the product you would like to print on
- Click “next”
Step 3: Add an Image or Design and Merge your list
Your label and chosen Christmas template is now ready for you to personalise!
- To add an image: Click on Images on the left hand side of the page. You can either select a design from the Avery Gallery which lots of Christmassy pictures to choose from or you can select an image from your computer. Once you have inserted your image you can stretch and rotate it and move it to different positions.
- To add text: Click on Text then ‘Add Text Box’. You can now just write what you would like to be seen on your label or click on ‘Start Mail Merge’ from the 'Import Data' options on the left hand side . This will start the Mail Merge Wizard which has step by step instructions.
Once your text or addresses are on the labels you will be able to adjust the size, type and colour of the font by highlighting your text and making the relevant adjustments from the text options on the left hand side.
If you'd like more help on Mail Merge use this link to our more detailed instructions.
Step 4: Ready to print!
When printing, please read your printer’s instructions on how to print labels. To check everything is OK we would advise you to complete a test print on a blank piece of paper first. You will also need to check your paper size is set to A4 (and not US letter size), that any ’scaling’ or ‘fit size to print’ functions are switched off, and the paper type is set to 'Labels'.
If your labels are not aligning correctly, or you want further instruction, please see our printing instructions by clicking here
Step 5: Apply your design to another product
A great feature of Avery Design and Print Online is that you can apply a design to another product. Below are the steps to do this;
- In the Print Preview screen click the purple button 'Apply Design to Another Product' (You now have the option to save your design; we'd recommend that you do for future use. If you don’t already have a DPO account you will need to create one now)
- Next choose the other product you want to apply the design to.
You may need to do some minor adjustments to ensure the text and images fit the new style label.
- You can apply this design to as many other Avery products as you want and make a whole co-ordinated Christmas collection!